Thursday, May 22, 2008






Not terribly sure why I took a picture of this. Not sure why I'm putting the picture up either.

This hotel development on my street, a few blocks from me. There's also going to be condos. It's going to be very modern and swanky, I imagine. Within two or three blocks, there are lots of construction projects in progress that are going to be nice.

My spanish teacher [she calls herself a professor, which is weird to me. Cultural difference? She's my age, not exactly wizened and gray. I know what you're thinking...and yes, she is cute.] says that she doesn't like Palermo Viejo anymore, because she remembers it when she was a girl. From what I read, this used to be a working class neighborhood. Now, I think it's something akin to Montrose in Houston -- the hip, artsy, young part of town that is gentrifying like crazy. Unlike Montrose, its restaurants are awesome.

If I was more optimistic about Argentina's economic prospects, I'd buy a swanky condo and start a business here. Alas, the wife of the ex-president just became president, no one likes her, and she totally hearts Hugo Chavez. Enough said? I think so.

No comments: