Thursday, July 3, 2008

I bought a horse

I bought a horse. I'm pretty excited. He goes out to work for the first time on Saturday.

Actually, Patri Friedman was offering tiny rooting shares of himself in the Main Event of the World Series of Poker. At $50, how could I resist the gamble? Besides, I like to embrace variance.

Friedman is a pretty interesting guy. He's been in the news quite a bit recently -- his institute to build floating ocean cities recently got a $500K grant from famous VC Peter Thiel, so he's quitting his job at Google to do seasteading fulltime. I've been reading his blog since I found it back in 2002 or so while googling for poker info and it's always been one of my favorite reads.

Oh, and although my gamble isn't for a lot of money, Patri is definitely a +EV bet. Plus it'll be super fun to root for him when he hits Day 1 on Saturday. Did I mention he's the grandson of Milton Friedman and son of David? Yeah, I think he's got the math skills for the donkaments.

No comments: