Monday, September 22, 2008

Two unlinked, disconnected* cultural observations

1. As far as I can tell, upper middle class Argentines take more pictures than I can smile. I am hopeful that I can keep these pictures off facebook. But not that hopeful.

2. The glass is not quite half full. I'm not sure how to say this without sounding like an American, but Argentines do not believe in filling glasses. Doesn't matter the size, you will get less than half of your glass filled. It's cultural, apparently.

* I try to use the word random less frequently because most uses of the word random are not really correct. As a practicioner of chance, I prefer to be precise with my words of uncertainty whenever possible.

1 comment:

yet another rice alum said...

why don't you explain your "practicioner of chance" remark?