Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Day in the Life

Just did some grocery shopping at the supermercado on my block. Total cost of my groceries, including 5 bottles of wine: about $23 USD. Bueno.

Getting a bit of work done now, and then I'm going to head out to eat at a fancy Thai place called Sudestada with some ex-pat friends. It's pretty good; not quite what you could expect out on Bellaire Blvd in Houston, but spicy food is not exactly common in Buenos Aires. Friends claim this is the only spicy place in the city of good air. Personally, I'm just hoping we get the same waitress as last time.

Tomorrow is the Superclasico. Boca Juniors v River Plate, one of the biggest rivalries in the world. I'm trying to decide if I want to go find a bar in a poorer neighborhood to watch the game or if I'll minimize my variance on this one, as the severity of negative variance could be quite costly. More than just your average derby (non-soccer fans: a derby is when two hometown rivals play each other), this is one of those world famous clashes. The two biggest clubs in the country, plus the match has class overtones: Boca fashions itself as the club of the working man, while River is known as having a more tony fan base.

The game is at home for Boca, at la Bombonera. I'll let Wikipedia describe it:
Three sides of the Bombonera are made up of traditional sloping stadium stands, but the fourth side had to be built vertically, with several seating areas stacked one on top of the other, to stay within the stadium's property. La Bombonera is renowned for vibrating when fans start to jump in rhythm; in particular, the unique vertical side will sway slightly, leading to the phrase "La Bombonera no tiembla. Late" ("the Bombonera does not tremble. It beats.").

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Who ended up winning?

If I remember correctly, Molly (who doesn't even like soccer that much) cheered for Boca and watched quite a few of their games while she was down there.